Alexa-powered smart speakers like the Amazon Echo are a great way for you to listen to shows, podcasts, radio stations and more by only using the power of your voice.
KPR now has its own Alexa Skill, allowing you to use your Echo smart speaker to listen to KPR. Here's how:
Enabling the KPR Skill for Alexa
An Alexa "skill" is like an app, but for the Alexa smart speaker. You can tell your Alexa to enable a skill, and once enabled, your Alexa now has the ability to use that skill.
To enable the KPR skill for your Alexa:
Say, "Alexa, enable the K-P-R skill."
You only need to say this the first time you want to listen to KPR on your Alexa-powered smart speaker.
Now you're ready to begin using our skill.
Using the KPR Skill for Alexa
Like a program on a computer or an app on a smart phone, you need to open it up before you can use it. The same is true for Alexa skills. Here's how to open up the KPR skill on your Alexa:
Say, "Alexa, play K-P-R."
You'll need to give Alexa this command every time you want to listen to Kansas Public Radio.
To stop listening, just say, "Alexa, stop."
Listening to KPR2 on Alexa
The above information is also true for listening to KPR2, our all-talk format station. Just replace "K-P-R" with "K-P-R Two" when speaking to Alexa.
"Alexa, enable the K-P-R Two skill." (Only need to say this once, the first time)
"Alexa, play K-P-R Two." (Need to say this every time you want to listen to KPR2)
Listening to the daily KPR Newscast
You can also listen to the KPR Newscast - an hourly local news summary updated throughout the day - alongside your other flash briefing segments that Alexa gives you when you say "Alexa, what's new?" or "Alexa, what is my flash briefing?"
Here's how you can enable the KPR Flash Briefing skill and add it to your Alexa flash briefing:
- Open up the Alexa companion app on your iOS or Android device.
- Go to the app menu and select the Settings menu item.
- Scroll down to the Flash Briefing menu item, under Alexa Preferences.
- Tap the Select Content button and then search for "KPR Flash Briefing."
- Select the KPR Flash Briefing skill and then enable it.
- You can configure it to play the KPR Flash Briefing skill first by tapping the Edit button and then dragging the KPR Flash Briefing skill to the beginning of the list.