The President’s FY 18 budget proposes eliminating federal funding for public media. Our station relies on this essential federal seed money to provide you with the highest quality noncommercial programming and community services, as it is nearly 13 percent of our annual funding. If Kansas Public Radio has educated, informed or inspired you, please sign Protect My Public Media’s petition urging Congress to continue to fund public media at protectmypublicmedia.org.
● More than 41 million people listen to public radio stations each week. Public broadcasting (radio and television combined) reaches more than 95% of the U.S. population with free, over-the-air programming.
● Public broadcasting is one of America’s best community-based investments and private-public partnerships – just $1.35 per citizen per year. For radio alone, this amounts to around 30 cents per citizen per year.
● The cost of public broadcasting is only one hundredth of one percent (0.01%) of the entire federal budget.
● For every federal dollar invested through CPB, public broadcasting stations (TV and radio) raise more than $6 on their own.
● Local public radio stations help support and preserve cultural institutions, including symphony orchestras, philharmonic societies, theater groups and historical venues.
● 91% of all classical radio stations in the U.S. are public radio stations.
KPR is a proud partner of Protect My Public Media, a collaboration of local public radio and television stations, national distributors, producers, viewers, listeners and others who support a strong public media in the United States. The campaign is an effective tool to protect future federal funding for public media. Find out more about the campaign at www.protectmypublicmedia.org.