Photo from antifreezecoolantpro.com
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A Kansas elementary school student is honoring the memory of his dog by asking the Kansas Legislature to regulate antifreeze. Wichita 6th grader Aaron Coash says his dog, Nikko, died in January after wandering from home and at some point drinking anti-freeze. KAKE-TV reports that Nikko is one of about 10,000 animals and 1,400 children who die each year from poisoning from anti-freeze, which smells and tastes sweet. Coash and the Humane Society of the United States wrote a bill that asked the state Legislature to require manufacturers to put a bittering agent into antifreeze. The chemical would make it less likely that anyone would accidentally drink antifreeze. The bill was submitted Friday, and Coash is now waiting to hear back from state senators.